A Virtual Tour of St John's Cathedral
This tour is intended to give the reader a sense of the interior of the Cathedral. The walls are stuccoed and painted a pale yellow. A great deal of terra cotta trim is evident, especially around the windows. The high vaulted ceiling and roof trusses are brown. The nave and Sanctuary pews are a light oak colour. Some original pews, dark brown in colour, are located in the transepts. Other than the Sanctuary, with its beautiful rood screen, the most striking thing about the interior is the large number of stained glass windows.
This tour begins in the north transept and then goes around the Cathedral in a clockwise direction.
In this transept are a painting of the original St. John's Church as it appeared when serving as the Cathedral hall in the 1950s, the architect's 1912 sketch of what the interior of the Cathedral was originally to look like, and the First World War memorial.
The architect's sketch shows the original brickwork and lighting that were replaced in the 1950s. Note that some of the pews are shown forward of the transepts where the nave altar is now. As a cost saving measure during construction the roof trusses were not encased in Georgia Pine as shown in the sketch, and the pipe organ shown was not installed.
The First World War Memorial on the elevator housing is not the only one in the Cathedral. The Casavant organ, and its predecessor, is/was a WW2 Memorial. Also, three of the stained glass windows: the Moore window (St Timothy 3e) and the Sterns windows (Elisha 13i, Elijah 14i) remember men who died in the First World War.
There are three windows in the transept. These are:
- 1a (to be) THE INSTITUTION OF THE LORD'S SUPPER.
- 2a (to be) THE GARDEN OF GETHSEMANE.
- 3a THE RESURRECTION. - In memory of Gertrude Seymour Ball (1889-1955), wife of lumber dealer and contractor Thomas M. Ball.
This chapel is used for midweek services and for those requesting special prayers during Sunday services. The outside door leads to the wheelchair ramp on the north side of the Cathedral. Note the red-shaded perpetual light and the curtained aumbry or tabernacle to hold consecrated hosts.
There are three windows. These are:
- 1b (to be) FAITH
- 2b HOPE - In memory of Marjorie Walker (1901-76), member of the first confirmation class at St. John's, trustee of the public school board 1945-51, the first woman to be a city alderman 1948-55 and a public school teacher 1953-65. Walker Crescent in the Dundonald subdivision is named after her. This window, made by McCausland in Toronto, was installed in 1978.
- 3b to be CHARITY. This window, located above the altar, was covered over in the 1950s. It may still be seen from the outside.
The predominant material seen in the Sanctuary is white Carrara ware which is Doulton's name for white terra cotta that resembles Italian Carrara marble. Carrara ware is used for the pulpit, rood screen, lectern, high altar and reredos.
The symbolism used throughout the Sanctuary includes lambs (Agnes Dei), angels, crosses, wheat and Saskatchewan lilies. The Greek letters on the pulpit and elsewhere are Chi Rho for XPLSTOS, the word for "Christ," Alpha and Omega for "the beginning and the end" and the letters IHS which are from the word IHSOUS for "Jesus." The rood screen connects the pulpit and lectern. "Rood" comes from the Latin word for "cross." The eagle on the lectern is the symbol of St. John the Evangelist, and was also the bird that supposedly flew closest to the sun and carried the gospel to the people.
There are three windows in the Altar Apse:
- 1c THE NATIVITY: depicted with St. Joseph standing behind, three shepherds and two Magi. In memory of Adelbert Arthur "Deb" Murphy (1884-1959) and his wife Estelle (1883- 1957). A graduate of Queen's and McGill, A.A. Murphy and David Streb founded the Electric Shop in 1920 and CFQC radio in 1923. The partnership was later dissolved and Mr. Murphy founded CFQC TV on his own in 1954. A Mason, he was active in the Board of Trade (Chamber of Commerce) and Kiwanis Club. He was president of the Granite Curling Club and the Riverside Golf and Country Club. He was on the vestry 1924-26, and a Warden in 1926 and 1929-31. Murphy Crescent near Market Mall in southeast Saskatoon is named after him. Estelle was superintendent of the primary Sunday School at least 1915-35 and choir mother. She was president of the Women's Guild at St. John's, the King Edward Home and School and the ladies' section of the Granite Curling Club. This window was made in England in 1962.
- 2c THE CRUCIFIXION: with the Virgin Mary in the centre foreground. St. John the Evangelist is in the right foreground, Mary Magdalene in the left foreground. In memory of Anita Louise Parrott (1913-37) and Miriam Sydney Parrott (1921-45), the daughters of Sidney and Ina Parrott. Sidney grew up on the farm at Mount Bridges, Ontario. He came to Saskatchewan in 1905 via the USA where he had worked as a machinist. He founded Modern Laundry in 1910. Ina was from Iowa and came to Saskatoon about 1909. They were married in 1910. Mrs. Parrott was a member of the St. John's Women's Guild and Auxiliary, and the Saskatoon Womens' Canadian Club.
- 3c THE ASCENSION OF CHRIST: depicted with the Virgin Mary and the 11 remaining Disciples as witnesses. In memory of Wilfred Eastland Fuller (1900-50) dean of this Cathedral 1943-49 and Bishop 1949-50. He was also a member of the Board of Governors of the CBC. This window, the first in the Cathedral made in Canada, was added in 1953.
Bishop's Chair & Crozier
The chair, located in the southeast corner of the Sanctuary, came from the former St. Alban's Cathedral in Toronto. "Cathedra" is the Latin word for chair. This chair is no longer used. When the Bishop attends services he sits in a smaller chair placed near the nave altar. The crozier is a stylised shepherd's crook, ornamented with wheat sheaves and Saskatchewan Lilies. The crozier used to be kept beside the Bishop's chair but is now located in front of the rood screen under the pulpit.
Organ & Piano
Originally a small reed organ was used. In 1931 a combined pipe organ and piano (previously used in a theatre) was donated. It was only used as a piano and the reed organ apparently continued to be used.
In 1956 a Hill, Norman and Beard organ made in England was purchased as a war memorial. It had three manuals and had been made for export in 1953. In 1981 it was sold to a United Church in Whitehorse Y.T. that later burned down.
The present two-manual organ was installed 1981-82 at a cost of over $120,000. Built by the famous Casavant firm in Québec, it has 31 stops and 43 ranks. It was first played at a concert of the Westminster Cathedral boys' choir from England.
The Kawai grand piano located in the south transept was a gift to the parish in 1988.
This room, under the steeple, is where the ropes for the tubular chimes may be seen. These are the 1907 chimes from the original church. The wall near the outside door is the same brick as the original interior of the Cathedral.
A list of the Bishops of the Diocese and the arms of the Diocese are located in this transept.
- There are three windows. These are:
- 1d THE SERMON ON THE MOUNT showing "Christ the Teacher" depicted with many white lilies around him. - In memory of Dr. Herbert Dutton Weaver who died at age 73, and was a member of this parish 1905-42. Born in England, graduated in medicine from Trinity College at the University of Toronto. Lectured at Dalhousie and was one of the early practitioners of radiology. Member of the board of Emmanuel College and active in the Sons of England. Member of the Parks Board. The founding meetings of the YMCA and the Horticultural Society were held in the Weaver's home. His "hobby garden" and orchard formed the basis of what is now Lakeshore Nurseries in Saskatoon. One of his hobbies was growing white lilies. This is one of three known "personalised" windows (see #6g and 16i). The window was made in England using Belgian glass.
- 2d CHRIST HEALING THE SICK - In memory of E.J. Scott Dudley (1876-1970) and his wife Frances (1884-1970). Scott Dudley came from Suffolk England to Saskatchewan in 1906 and farmed near Maymont. He was a veteran of the Boer War and of the First World War. He retired to Saskatoon and served as president of the Saskatoon Branch of the Royal Canadian Legion. Frances was a member of the Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire and a board member of the YWCA. The window was installed in 1971.
- 3d to be CHRIST WITH MARY AND MARTHA. Sisters Mary Magdalen and Martha welcomed Christ into their home. Lazarus was their brother.
Nave Relics - south side
The cross on the first pillar is a copy of one from Christ Church (Canterbury Cathedral) given in friendship in 1932. The original 8th Century cross was found during archaeolgical excavations. Copies of it were placed in Canterbury and other Anglican Cathedrals throughout the world. The "axe" ends remember the murder of St. Thomas à Becket in Canterbury Cathedral in 1170.
A stone finial from a buttress of Exeter Cathedral, dislodged during a 1942 air raid, is on the second pillar.
South Nave Windows New Testament figures
- 1e ST. PAUL THE GREAT APOSTLE. - In memory of Herman Johnson (1907-86), projectionist at the Capitol Theatre and owner of Johnson Photography 1949-74. Wrote the "Prairie Outdoors" column for the StarPhoenix. Member of the Saskatoon Fish and Game League, the Saskatoon Gun Club, Riverside Golf Club, Nutana Curling Club, Rotary and the Saskatoon Club. A member of vestry, Peoples' Warden and Dean's Warden of St. John's. This window was made by McCausland in Toronto and installed in 1987 although the memorial at the bottom of the window says 1986.
- 2e ST. JOHN THE EVANGELIST son of Zebedee and Salome, younger brother of the Apostle James. Preached throughout Asia Minor and lived to be 105. Said to have written the fourth Gospel. Wrote the Book of Revelation. Depicted with a book and a pen. In memory of Hannah Downer (1890-1949) a stenographer for the Diocese and the wife of the Rev. Canon Charles William Downer (1883-1960) Honorary Assistant at the Cathedral who was on the staff of the Normal School and later the R.G. Williams School for the Deaf.
- 3e ST. TIMOTHY son of Eunice and a gentile. Accompanied St. Paul and St. Luke on the second missionary journey. Killed by stones and clubs. In memory of Sargeant Harry Moore (1869-1927) of the 53rd Battalion Canadian Expeditionary Force in 1914 and the Black Watch; and to his sons Roy Vivian Moore (1894-1916) killed in action, and Lieutenant Maurice Moore Royal Navy (1900-18) who enlisted in the 65th Batallion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force as a boy bugler in 1914, was commissioned as a pilot, and then injured in a crash. He died of the flu November 6, 1918, just short of the Armistice and of his nineteenth birthday. This window, made by McCausland in Toronto, dates from 1991.
- 4e ST. JAMES, by tradition the first Bishop of Jerusalem who
came to prominence after the execution of the Apostle James
in 44 AD. Possibly a brother, stepbrother or cousin of Jesus.
Executed in 62 AD.- In
memory of Orton Scaife (1891-1943), a Saskatoon insurance
agent. Born in England, he was a Great War veteran. He served
as Veteran's Welfare Officer in the early years of the Second
World War and was a member of the choir at St. John's.
- 5e ST. LUKE, the great physician and Apostle. Wrote the third Gospel and the Book of Acts. A Roman from Antioch, he accompanied St. Paul and St. Timothy on the second missionary journey. Depicted with a book and a caduceus. - In memory of James Brooke Wrigley who came to Saskatoon in 1909 and entered the real estate business. Was a Justice of the Peace, served on the Exhibition Board, was a member of the Royal Canadian Legion and the St. John's Ambulance. Wrigley Crescent and Place in the Parkridge subdivision are named after him. The window was made by McCausland in Toronto and installed in 1986. See #7e.
- 6e ST. PETER, brother of the Apostle Andrew. A fisherman and the "rock" on whom the Church was built, held the keys of heaven. Crucified upside down, probably in AD 64. Depicted with a bible and a set of keys. - In memory of George Beck (1903-54) who was peoples' warden in 1953. The window was dedicated in 1955.
- 7e MARY, THE BLESSED VIRGIN mother of Jesus. Depicted with lilies, her symbol. - In memory of Eleanor Wrigley, the wife of James Brooke Wrigley. She came to Saskatoon in 1905. A member of the St. John's Choir and of the Orpheus Society. This window was made by McCausland in Toronto and added in 1986. See #5e.
- 8e ST. MATTHEW, writer of the first gospel. Depicted with a pen, ink well and book. - In memory of Ethel L. Miles (1900-54), wife of A.E. Miles who was with CN telegraphs.
- 9e ST. SIMEON holding the Christ Child. - In memory of Samuel Arthur Heron (1905-84) and his wife Nancy Ross Heron (1905-80). Samuel Heron was a bank manager. The window was made in Toronto by McCausland and dates from 1989.
- 10e ST. THOMAS, the doubting apostle. Martyred with spears in India. Said to have built a palace for a king in India, and is therefore depicted holding a carpenter's square. - In memory of Emily May Gould (1891-1965), society editor of the StarPhoenix 1930-59. A golfer (provincial champion) who laid out the first holes of the Pike Lake course. Girl Guide leader, also active in Little Theatre and the Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire. This window was made in Swansea, Wales in 1966.
- 11e MICHAEL, an Archangel who spoke with Moses on Mount Sinai. According to legend he fought a dragon. Helper of Christian armies, depicted in armour with a spear and a shield. - In memory of Agnes Isabel Kinnear (1905-86) "nurse, church worker, active Conservative, marvellous cook." Wife of Dr. Bill Kinnear. The window dates from 1988. The Kinnears had a son named Michael. See #6h.
- 12e - ST. ANDREW, disciple of John the Baptist, brother of St. Peter. Martyred in Scythia AD 60 on a saltire cross. Patron saint of Scotland and Russia.- Dedicated to Anglican Church Women, this window was made in Toronto by McCausland and installed in 1976.
- 13e to be ZOPIEL.
- 14e to be URIEL, an Archangel but a minor figure in Christian tradition.
- 15e to be GABRIEL an Archangel and messenger for God.
- There is also an unassigned window in the south nave, the very western most one 16e, which was originally to be Archangel Michael.
South Clerestory Windows (Old Testament figures)
- 1f DAVID, King of Israel and traditionally the author of the Psalms. Known for his skill as a player of the harp. - In memory of Henry Buller Colthurst (1844-92), and donated by the firm who designed the Cathedral, Thompson, Daniel and Colthurst. This window, and #2F, date from 1914.
- 2f SOLOMON, son of David and King of Israel(970-930 BC) builder of the great temple in Jerusalem. - In memory of H.B. Colthurst (1844-1892). See #1F.
- 3f to be JEREMIAH (c 650-570 BC) a Hebrew prophet, reformer and author of a book of the Old Testament.
- 4f to be EZEKIEL, a prophet-priest of the 6th century BC. Author of a book of the Old Testament.
- 5f ELI, High Priest of Israel. Died of schock at age 98 when he learned of the death of his sons in battle and the loss of the Ark to the Philistines. - This is one of two windows given in 1914 by William Jeffrey of Stratford Ontario in memory of his son William Joseph Jeffrey who died of typhoid in Saskatoon July 4, 1909 at the age of seventeen. William Jeffrey Jr. had been a teller at the Northern Crown Bank. His father was in the real estate business in Saskatoon. One of the original windows. See #6f.
- 6f SAMUEL who God made his prophet after the death of Eli and his sons. Led the people against the Philistines and recovered the Ark. Depicted annointing Saul as King of Israel. - In memory of William Joseph Jeffrey. See #5f.
- 7f to be DANIEL, a Hebrew prophet from the 2nd Century BC, reputed author of the Book of Daniel.
- 8f to be HOSEA, a prophet who lived around 721 BC and who wrote one of the books of the Old Testament. Also the name of the King of Israel at the time of the Assyrian conquest.
- 9f to be JOEL, a prophet who lived after 516 BC and who wrote a book of the Old Testament.
- 10f to be MICAH, a prophet of the 8th century BC. Parts of the Book of Micah were probably written much later.
- 11f to be NAHUM, a prophet of the Old Testament from about 612 BC.
- 12f to be HABAKKUK, a Hebrew Prophet before 612 BC and author of a book of the Old Testament.
- 13f to be ZEPHANIAH, a Hebrew prophet before 623 BC and supposed author of a book of the Old Testament.
- 14f to be HAGGAI, a Hebrew prophet and supposed author of a book of the Old Testament. The book consists of prophecies delivered in 521 BC.
- 15f to be ZECHARIAH, a priest and prophet of the 6th Century BC who is reputed to be the author of one of the books of the Old Testament.
- 16f to be MALACHI, the name of a book of the Old Testament. Written in the first half of the 5th Century BC, the author is unknown.
- There are also four unassigned windows in the south clerestory, the most westerly ones, which would be 17f, 18f, 19f and 20f.
West Nave Windows
- 1g THE GOOD SAMARITAN looking after a man who had been beaten and robbed on the road. The passersby who did not help are in the background.
- In memory of Dr. Wilburn D. "Barney" McPhail (1904-61) and his wife Hilda G. McPhail. Barney was a hockey player at university and a strong fan later. Served in the RCAF. He was the leader of the cottage owners who successfully fought to restore the water levels of Emma Lake. Hilda was a nurse, a life member of the Red Cross and of the Saskatoon Council of Women and a 50 year member of the IODE. She led the restoration of Saskatoon's original stone school in 1967. She was active in the YWCA and Kilburn Hall boards, the Anglican Church Women, United Appeal, UNICEF, Beta Sigma Phi and Meals on Wheels. Made by McCausland in Toronto, this window was added in 1983.
- 2g ST. PAUL on the road to Damascus ("Lord, what wilt Thou have me do?"). - In memory of William E. "Bill" Gray (1904-71). Born in Aberdeenshire, he came to Saskatoon in 1932 as manager of an insurance company. He was a city alderman 1944-60, president of the Lions Club and of the Granite Curling Club. In 1945 he went door to door looking for accomodation for returning servicemen. He was chairman of Saskatoon's committee negotiating the annexation of Sutherland in 1955. Gray Avenue in Sutherland is named for him. The window was installed in 1975.
- 3g THE PRESENTATION OF CHRIST IN THE TEMPLE. Simeon is depicted holding the baby Jesus. Mary, Joseph (holding two caged pigeons as an offering) and Anna look on. - In memory of W. Seemer Betts (1864-1960) and his wife Christina. They came from England. Seemer Betts was the choirmaster of St. John's 1920-48. Betts Court in the Arbor Creek subdivision is named after him.
- 4g CHRIST BLESSING CHILDREN - In memory of William L. Geatros (1891-1949) a prominent member of Saskatoon's Greek community and the owner of the Ritz Hotel and Restaurant, he came to Saskatoon in 1914. The window was installed in 1971.
- 5g THE BOY JESUS IN THE TEMPLE. Depicted with Mary, Joseph and five learned men. - In honour of the Rectors and Deans who have served this parish. The window was donated in 1960 by Seymour E. Bushe, a real estate and insurance man who was a longtime member of this parish and of the vestry.
- 6g THE CHARGE TO PETER ("I will give unto thee the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven").- In memory of Elwood Harold Patterson (1920-65), dean of the Cathedral 1962-1965. A graduate of Bishop's University who had previously served in the dioceses of Québec, Niagara and Kootenay before coming here. A church was added to the window to reflect Dean Patterson's work. One of three known "personalized" windows, this one was added in 1969. See #1d and 16i.
- 7g THE GOOD SHEPHERD ("I am the Good Shepherd.") - In memory of Mr. Justice Donald Charles Disbery (1901-81). The window was installed in 1983.
The font is located near the main doors to symbolize baptism as the means of entering the Church. When the font's top goes up the dove comes down.
North Nave Windows (mostly New Testament figures)
- 1h unknown.
- 2h to be ANNA, the legendary mother of the Virgin Mary.
- 3h unknown.
- 4h unknown.
- 5h ST. MATTHIAS, who replaced Judas Escariot amongst the Apostles. Preached in Ethiopia. Depicted with a spear in his hand. - In memory of Vernon Charles Patrick Gaunt (1879-1974). Born in Ulster, he came to Saskatoon in 1907 and founded a printing business that later was known as Arrow Printing. The window, made by McCausland in Toronto, was installed in 1976. There is also a window for Mr. Gaunt in Knox United Church next door to St. John's on Spadina Crescent.
- 6h ST. AGNES (291-304 AD), a 13 year-old martyr, depicted with her usual symbol of a lamb. - In memory of Dr. William Stewart "Bill" Kinnear, Saskatoon pediatrician, golfer and one of the founders of the Hilltops Football Team. Saskatoon Citizen of the Year in 1975. Agnes was Mrs. Kinnear's name. Kinnear Crescent in the Silverwood Industrial Park is named after him. The window was made by McCausland in Toronto and was installed in 1991. See #11e.
- 7h ST. SIMON THE LESS, one of the 12 Apostles. Depicted with a saw in his hand as his body is said to have been sawn into pieces after he was martyred. - In memory of William James Hughes OBE (1884-1976) and his wife Florence Eva Hughes (1892-1974). Born in England, Mr. Hughes was wounded at Courcelette in the First World War. He became superintendent of the Soldier's Settlement Board and the Veteran's Land Act in Saskatoon. Was People's Warden at St. John's. Worked with the Boy Scouts and received the Order of the British Empire. This window was made by McCausland in Toronto and installed in 1976.
- 8h ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST, son of Zacharia and St. Elizabeth. He baptized Christ. Is depicted holding a bowl of water and a cross symbolizing the baptisms he performed in the River Jordan. - In memory of Mary Irene "Mollie" Dodds (1904-80). The window was made in Toronto by McCausland and installed in 1988.
- 9h ST. JUDE of Thaddaeus, brother of St. James the Less and of St. Simeon, martyred in Armenia. Is depicted with an axe, remembering his martyrdom. - In memory of William Anthony Pryor (1891-1970), who came to Canada from England in 1912, arriving in Saskatoon in 1930. He was claims manager for Saskatchewan Mutual Insurance, secretary-treasurer of the Granite Curling Club for twenty years, member of Rotary and of the Saskatoon Golf and Country Club. The window was made in Toronto by McCausland and installed in 1991.
- 10h ST. MARK, writer of a gospel and an evangelist. Depicted with a pen and a book. - In memory of Jewell M. and Mrs. Ernestine E. Witt. Mr. Witt was a member of the vestry in the 1930s. This window was installed in 1986.
- 11h ST. JAMES THE LESS, one of the twelve Apostles, first Bishop of Jerusalem. Also called James son of Alphaeus. Believed to have been beaten to death with a fuller's club, such as the one in his left hand. Was either the father or the brother of St. Jude. - In memory of Laeta Boyce (1889-1970), wife of Basil P. Boyce, a lawyer and the sheriff of Saskatoon 1929-57. She came from Keewatin Ontario. The window was made by McCausland in Toronto and installed in 1970.
- 12h ST. MARTHA, sister of Mary Magdalene and Lazarus who, together with Mary Magdalene, annointed Christ's feet. - In memory of Margaret "Pegi" Mary Richards (1952-86), daughter of J. Howard and Mary Helen Richards. The window was made by McCausland in Toronto and dates from 1988.
- 13h ST. BARTHOLOMEW, one of the twelve Apostles. Said to have travelled to India. Was flayed to death in Armenia. Depicted with a flaying knife in his left hand. - In memory of Robert George Braithwaite (1949-70) who was killed in an accident on the Blackstrap Lake Road. A member of the YMCA and of the St. John's Servers' Guild. The window was installed in 1971.
- 14h ST. MARY MAGDALENE and Christ. Luke says that Mary, the sister of Martha and Lazarus, was a sinner and that seven devils were cast out of her. Mary Magdalene later accompanied Christ, ministered to him and annointed his feet before the last supper. She stood at the foot of the cross and was the first witness of the Resurrection. - In memory of Wilfred Henry George Avant (1885-1952) and his wife Ethel Mary (d. 1989) who were married in St. John's in 1919. Mr. Avant came from England. They retired into Saskatoon in 1944. The window was installed in 1990.
- 15h ST. PHILIP, one of the twelve Apostles. - In memory of Allan Johnson (d. 1961) who was the Cathedral's organist 1925-34. He also operated a music store.
- 16h ST. ELIZABETH, wife of Zacharia and mother of St. John the Baptist, cousin of the Virgin Mary. Gave birth at a late age (note her wrinkled forehead and hands.) - In memory of Russell and Louise Johnson, Oscar and Josie Opheim, Herman and Mary Lewis and Harry and Ann Stolar. This window was installed in 1991. It was made by McCausland in Toronto.
North Clerestory Windows (Old Testament Figures)
- There are four unassigned windows in the north clerestory, the very most westerly ones which would be 1-4i.
- 5i to be ABRAHAM, who left Ur to found a new nation in Canaan. An unquestioning follower of God.
- 6i to be ISAAC, son of Abraham and Sara, husband of Rebekah and
father of Esau and Jacob.
7i to be REBEKAH, wife and second cousin of Isaac, the mother of Jacob and Esau.
- 8i to be JACOB, the grandson of Abraham, son of Isaac and Rebekah and the traditional ancestor of the Jewish people. He lived to be 147.
- 9i to be JOSEPH, the 11th son of Jacob and of Rachel. Owner of the "coat of many colours" and sold into slavery by his brothers.
- 10i to be MOSES, brother of Aaron, who delivered his people from slavery in Egypt.
- 11i to be AARON, brother of Moses, the traditional founder of the Jewish priesthood.
- 12i to be JOSHUA, the leader of the Israelites after the death of Moses.
- 13i to be DEBORAH, prophet and heroine of the war against the Canaanites.
- 14i to be SAUL first King of Israel (c. 1021-1000 BC).
- 15i to be AMOS a shepherd and prophet who flourished about 750-740 BC.
- 16i JONAH, thrown overboard from a ship because he disobeyed Jehovah. Was swallowed by a "great fish." Freed after three days and nights when he promised to obey God. - Depicted with a whale (the great fish) and a mallard duck as the window is a memorial for Percy Wright (1911-79), a fisherman and a hunter. Mr. Wright worked for Eaton's in Saskatoon and Prince Albert. He was president of the Cosmopolitan Club of Prince Albert and of the Saskatoon Figure Skating Club. He was a member of the YMCA and of the Riverside Golf and Country Club. One of three known "personalized" windows, it was installed in 1978. See #1d and 6g.
- 17i ELISHA, a prophet, successor to Elijah. Performed miracles to show the power of God. - In memory of Sydney S. Sterns who was killed at Passchedale in 1917. This window and #18i were installed after the First World War.
- 18i ELIJAH, a great prophet. Believed in moral uprightness and social justice. Ascended into Heaven without dying. - In memory of Sydney S. Sterns, see #17i.
- 19i ISAIAH, a prophet of the 8th Century BC under four different kings of Judah. The most important of the prophets of the time who foresaw a future where there would be absolute justice, peace, harmony and spiritual awareness. - In memory of Henry Oswald Wright (1880-1956), a Boer War veteran, Conservative MP for Battleford 1917-21, manager of Monarch Life Insurance, manager of the Saskatoon Community Chest, Rector's Warden in 1927, chairman of the Red Cross in Saskatoon, member of the St. John's Choir. Husband of Mary Wilson Wright. See #20i.
- 20i RUTH, widow of Mahalon, daughter-in-law of Naomi, who went from Moab to Bethlehem with Naomi. Ruth then married a rich man named Boaz. Their son Obed had a son Jesse whose fourth son became King David. Depicted with sheaves of wheat when she worked in the fields of Boaz on her arrival in Bethlehem. - In memory of Mary Wilson Wright (1876-1951), wife of Henry Oswald Wright. Born in Kingston, Ontario, she was a member of the Saskatoon Women's Music Club and one of five members of her family in the St. John's Choir at the same time in the 1930's. See #19i.
Nave Relics - north side
The stone on the first pillar is from Glastonbury Abbey, Somerset England. This was the first Christian establishment in England.
A stone floret from Exeter College, Oxford, is mounted on the second pillar. This floret given as a gift from the Chaplain of Exeter College as a symbol of the relationship between Exeter and the Province of Saskatchewan.
The central theme of these windows is the "Good Shepherd." Christ is represented by the shepherd's crook, with the lambs of his flock. Vines, emerging from the base of the crook, bind the three windows together. "I am the vine, you are the branches" (John 15:5). A dove represents the human soul. The Greek letters Alpha (in gold in the centre window) and Omega (in wine coloured glass across the three windows) are shown as in "I am the first and the last" (Revelations 1:3). These windows were made by Glass Eye Studios in Saskatoon.
Anderson, Robert, Stained Glass Windows St. John's Cathedral, 1995.
Pirie, Cyril H., The Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist, 1978.
Saint John's Cathedral, Self-Guided Tour, n.d.
Significant Dates and Events in the History of St. John's, n.d.
John Duerkop, 13 August, 2001
Updated: Jonathan Moore-Wright, 29 July, 2011